Skin Care

Every lady and some gentlemen know how expensive skin care products are. For the last several years I have used baking soda as an exfoliating scrub. It is wonderful and gentle on the skin. You can use just on face or all over the body. Similar store scrubs are very pricey and have all types of chemicals added, baking soda scrub is just soda and water, very pure.

This is a sure way to save money on skin care.

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I have made my own body scrubs using Himalayan sea salt, lavender oil and vanilla.

2 Likes

@pinay that sounds like it smells amazing! What ratio do you use for each ingredient? Is it vanilla extract you use?

2 Likes

I have dry skin, and I use coconut oil, sugar in the raw, and any essential oil. It’s amazing and makes my skin so soft.

I will try the baking soda- never thought of that.

3 Likes

Melissa posted:

@pinay that sounds like it smells amazing! What ratio do you use for each ingredient? Is it vanilla extract you use?

Melissa, I originally found recipes on Pinterest, but adapted to the size of a jar. Reusing a Talenti gelato jar, I filled it up 3/4 full with Himalayan sea salt, added 7-10 drops of lavender oil and 3-4 drops of vanilla extract. Then I stirred and shook it. It depends on how strong you want the lavender and vanilla. I’d like to add brown sugar as well, but it might make my shower floor slippery.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! This sounds like something my wife would be interested in. I will let her know about it!

2 Likes

I had severe cystic acne throughout my teen years and used every skin care product on the market with prices for each item ranging from $30-$180. Nothing worked. It wasn’t until I randomly washed my makeup off at a yoga class with SoftSoap Antibacterial Hand Soap that by the next day, ALL of my blemishes had completely disappeared. I have used nothing else since. The cost for each bottle? $2.00. Now that I’m getting older and my skin has been consistently clear for around 5-6 years, I do treat myself to a pricey tightening night cream that I love.

Something I find hilarious is that beauty bloggers who boast bathroom shelves stocked full of lotions and potions have recently created a viral challenge called, “Skin Cleanse” where all they use is water to wash their faces are are “amazed” at the clearing, soothing results. Half of all skincare products are designed to cause irritation (the remedy is another product from their line, of course)

3 Likes