What is your secret.....

What is your secret to selling successfully on Marketplace, LetGo and places of that nature?

2 Likes

I don’t know that there is a specific secret when it comes to selling on these platforms, or any online platforms for that matter. It is more just a matter of understanding the platform and the types of buyers on that platform.

I personally sell more on eBay but I do buy quite a few things from Marketplace.

Some tips I have as a buyer for sellers:

1.) Sell things buyers are looking for.

Marketplace is a good place to find just about anything you might be looking for, however, it does not mean that it is the best place to sell everything you are trying to get rid of. Some items just aren’t worth people’s time to have to pick up, (unless they are free) and would probably be better off being donated.

2.) Be willing to negotiate on the price

I always contact people on marketplace with the intention of negotiating on the price. Sometimes it is just because I want a better deal but most of the time (as a re-seller) I know that the price they are asking is a bit high for that item and they would not be able to get that price if they tried to sell on a different platform. Most people shopping on marketplace are bargain shopping and are looking for more like thrift store prices.

That being said, if you have a popular item, you have a little more control over how much you charge.

Even then, if I make an offer and the seller is not willing to even negotiate with me or gets upset with me about it, that causes me to lose interest fast.

4 Likes

Thanks, Jon! I find that my prices are lower than most. People will ask if the item is still available or ask me if I am willing to go lower. I always get back them as to whether or not it is available. I am always willing to go lower. The problem is that most don’t respond. They just don’t come back. I feel like they must have a short-time memory.

3 Likes

I use Marketplace, not necessarily as an income stream (I don’t re-sell) but as a way to get rid of things that I don’t use or want. So my perspective may be different. if I want to throw away anything, it costs me money- pay by the bag to go to the dump. So if I can get someone to pick up what I’m getting rid of, I save money. I make sure that I price things reasonably- once I’ve decided that the item needs to go, I don’t want it hanging around for too long.

Yes, @mskimberly, people do have short-term attention/memories when it comes to buying online!! I find that if I don’t have a buyer in the first day-ish, then I won’t have one.

Some things I’m OK with negotiating on, some I’m not. And some (like the brand new Carhartt clothes with tags on them) I won’t go down in price because I price them super low to begin with. (M gets a clothing allowance for work and sometimes outgrows/or can’t wear it for one reason or another.) I may donate them locally to agencies/people that I know need them and will use them, before being willing to drop the price anymore. I know that a lot of people re-sell them and that’s fine, but I get tired of the stories that people will tell me in order to get me to lower the price. Especially since I live in a small town (21K) and I see the items for sale later on. I made about $1000 last year selling things, but that included jewelry. This year I have much less to purge, so there’s not much going on.

2 Likes

@mskimberly If you are pricing at a good price, you can be more lenient with negotiations for sure. There is bound to be someone willing to pay what you ask, it might just require turning down a couple offers, but if they are too low to begin with, it may be worth waiting.

It can be frustrating the lack of communication sometimes, even when trying to get in touch with sellers. That is just one of the frustrations that come with the platform though. This even happens when giving stuff away for free I have found laugh

3 Likes

Jon, you are right. It even happens when we give things away. It wasn’t always like this. Times have changed.

2 Likes

KellyFromKeene posted:

I use Marketplace, not necessarily as an income stream (I don’t re-sell) but as a way to get rid of things that I don’t use or want. So my perspective may be different. if I want to throw away anything, it costs me money- pay by the bag to go to the dump. So if I can get someone to pick up what I’m getting rid of, I save money. I make sure that I price things reasonably- once I’ve decided that the item needs to go, I don’t want it hanging around for too long.

Yes, @mskimberly, people do have short-term attention/memories when it comes to buying online!! I find that if I don’t have a buyer in the first day-ish, then I won’t have one.

Some things I’m OK with negotiating on, some I’m not. And some (like the brand new Carhartt clothes with tags on them) I won’t go down in price because I price them super low to begin with. (M gets a clothing allowance for work and sometimes outgrows/or can’t wear it for one reason or another.) I may donate them locally to agencies/people that I know need them and will use them, before being willing to drop the price anymore. I know that a lot of people re-sell them and that’s fine, but I get tired of the stories that people will tell me in order to get me to lower the price. Especially since I live in a small town (21K) and I see the items for sale later on. I made about $1000 last year selling things, but that included jewelry. This year I have much less to purge, so there’s not much going on.

@kellyfromkeene: Some of the things I sell have not cost me more if anything. Thus, I can handle going low because I want to get rid of it. However, sometimes I just feel better donating to a group that helps people in one way or another. By the time I take pictures and put up ads, some things are not worth the hassle.

3 Likes