That free gift is not free

Hi

Unfortunately a family member ordered a free watch with shipping. It turns out that the peace of crap watch later caused a charge of $91. Watch didn’t even work. And not only that when I called they wouldn’t refund the money and said I had a subscription. A subscription to review crappy watches that don’t work. After talking to my bank and visa, they said there was nothing I could do about it.

I’m going to contact Visa again because I feel they are complicit if they allow these companies to keep using their transaction machinery.

Has anyone heard of a class action suit about this? When I looked it up it seems there are a lot of cases about this; the FTC even has a drop-down box about free watches. How do these companies keep getting away with it? Maybe I should go to my legislator.

Sharon

There are plenty of scams going with a free shipping offer and plenty of them coming from the internet. The ones you need to REALLY beware of are the ones like yours or where you get vitamins or something else for the cost of shipping. Then they nail your card to the tune of hundreds of dollars a month. There is no way to stop the charging, except to close the card. You can’t regulate them because the charges usually come from a foreign country where the FTC laws don’t apply.

Moral of the story: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

4 Likes

thanks for sharing there are so many scams out there today